I am relatively patient with questions from strangers about my pregnancy. In all honesty, I am surprised by pregnant women who are annoyed by relatively benign questions (due date/gender/names). I am glad to be pregnant and excited and quite willing to answer a couple of questions. People are excited about babies, they are a sign of hope in a world where we need as many earthly signs as possible. Plus the babies are my favorite topic of conversation, after my dog who will always be No. 1.
My weight gain since the first trimester has been relatively steady at about a pound a week. At almost 24 weeks I have gained about 24 pounds, give or take shoes and hydration. My OB is fine with this weight gain. I am expected to gain about 40 lbs over all. (This scares the sh!t out of me). However, the recommended weight gain for most singleton pregnancies, for a woman of average size is about 25 pounds, so ostensibly if I were pregnant with one baby I would be pretty close to my full-term size. As a result I clearly look like a full term singleton pregnant woman to random strangers.
The "you must be due any day" comments started at the beginning of this week and I got three in a row today from strangers who would have no reason to know that I am having twins. One really bothered me. I was paying at the Post Office and the clerk asks me when I'm due. I told her the end of June and she shakes her head authoritatively and says, "you'll never make it to the end of June." I ignored her and she continues, "looks like you are going to go any day." I responded that I am in the second trimester so that would be really bad news and then told her that I am carrying twins. She replied, "well you are carrying them too low. There is no way you will still be pregnant in June."
Are you f'ing kidding me? Who tells a pregnant woman that she is going to deliver prematurely. I swear I am going to stab the next person that says something like this. Ten minutes later on the elevator at work a woman asks me when I am going out on leave. Same answer, June. She is somewhat politer and asks, "have you been checked for multiples"? Nope, I am six months pregnant and have had no prenatal care. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
-
She wants her planet back. Woolfy – “Shooting Stars” Funny how his voice in
this song made me think he ...

No comments:
Post a Comment