Sunday, November 2, 2008

November 2, 2008


I woke up this morning to the sound of my mother perpetuating one of her favorite delusions - that she has taught my dog her right paw from her left paw. I stumble into my parents room and observe my dog sitting animatedly in front of my mother supporting this fiction by throwing paws up into the air in exchange for little pieces of cat food. It always amazes me that the dogs, who glare angrily at their dry dog food, will do anything for a tiny little piece of dry cat food. I wonder what is really in that stuff.

I say goodbye to my parents and dog, who is staying there for two weeks while Mr. T. and I go on vacay - whoot!

After getting in my car it hits me. I am actually pregnant. If I get home to change for church I will have enough time to take another pregnancy test. I am so excited I am wiggling in my seat. I am going to look at baby clothes today.

I have only bought one thing since we started discussing having children, a little Cleveland Browns onesie. My husband is a huge Browns fan notwithstanding the fact that he has never lived in Ohio and that they always lose. I am an Orioles fan so I think I feel his pain, until he goes into mourning every Sunday after they lose.

After church I go home and pace and wait for his 9 pm train. This is torture. I get on the internet and figure out that my due date is July 16. I think about how much it is going to suck to be pregnant in July, but I don't care.

Finally the hour arrives and I pack a gift bag with the Cleveland Browns onesie set and two peed on pregnancy tests. Instead of waiting in the car, I park and wait in the train station to ambush my husband. Of course his train is late (thanks Amtrak).

I give him his gift and he opens it in the station while walking, realizes what he is holding and stops, his eyes look teary and then he looks inquisitively at me and asks "really." I nodded because I couldn't talk. It was a blessed day.


My evil traitor dog is a Browns fan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment