Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Morning After






The first thing that I saw when I woke up this morning was both of my babies together in their isolette. I thought all of the warm maternal thoughts that I expected to think, but I also thought holy cow! look at all of that baby I cannot believe that this time yesterday both of them were in me. Seriously, how did I get out of bed and move around? Where did I even put them?

The most amazing thing about them that first morning was seeing the unspoken primal comfort that they took in each others existence. Whenever they were taken to the nursery to be weighed, measured, and fed formula behind my back they were returned in separate isolettes. My husband, or I, would immediately repack them into the same one, and instantly they would both stop fussing and roll into each other. Being pregnant with twins was hard and I am sure the next months will be the most challenging of my life. But seeing them together, and knowing the gift that they will be to each other, is a reward that I can see even here on this first day, and look forward to cherishing in the years to come.

Hamilton had a little trouble staying warm so we tried kangaroo care, which worked like a charm. Hopefully this isn't the start of him sleeping on one of us at all times. It is a great feeling though. Owen on the other hand waited until the nurses got me up and took over the bed for his own purposes.

Getting out of bed after a c-section sucks as much as anyone tells you that it does. Actually standing is not so bad. Even walking is bearable. But getting from a prone position into a standing position is brutal. One of the nurses helped to me sort-of-bathe while sitting on the toilet. Getting cleaner was awesome Going back to bed was even better.

My OB stopped by at the end of her work day to check in on me. She was in good spirits and said that if I get pregnant in the future that she would let me try for a vaginal delivery, unless I get pregnant with twins, and then she would want to deliver them by section. I stood there and nodded and thought about wringing her neck. Presuming that the boys are fraternal, which we think they are, I have a 1 in 25 chance of conceiving twins again, which is pretty high. My age and family history of twins increases those chances. These are not appropriate things to discuss while my internal organs are held in my body by staples. Since she is circumcising my sons tomorrow I decided not to say anything unkind to her, but I did regret not kicking her, just a little, when I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment