My OB circumcised the boys today while I watched. If I were left to my own devices I probably would have rejected the procedure, but my husband wanted it done. I don't buy the argument that boys should be circumcised so they look like their father and I am amazed at how often I heard it. Seriously, I don't even know how old a little boy would be before his genitals even remotely resemble his father's, but I doubt they would still be comparing them at that age. What sold me was the interview with the pediatrician, who said that their peers would have it done. Since he is the only person I know who would be informed on the issue I believed him.
In many hospitals, including mine, the OBs, perform the circs. This is because OBs, unlike pediatricians, are surgeons. Many times babies are circumcised before they see their own dr. for the first time. I received a good piece of advice before the boys' birth, which I followed. I requested that neither boy be circumcised until they were both medically cleared for the procedure. Even though I don't think it matters if they look like their father, I think it would be pretty terrible if one was done and the other was not. So when the pediatrician came Thursday he checked them out and gave two thumbs up.
In many hospitals, including mine, the OBs, perform the circs. This is because OBs, unlike pediatricians, are surgeons. Many times babies are circumcised before they see their own dr. for the first time. I received a good piece of advice before the boys' birth, which I followed. I requested that neither boy be circumcised until they were both medically cleared for the procedure. Even though I don't think it matters if they look like their father, I think it would be pretty terrible if one was done and the other was not. So when the pediatrician came Thursday he checked them out and gave two thumbs up.
The pediatrician's visit to the hospital was very entertaining. He is an affable and good looking guy and showed up in my room at some point yesterday morning after the catheter was ripped out, but before I was wearing anything that could be even loosely construed as clothing. When he entered the room I was sitting cross legged on the bed in a hospital gown that was open in the front for breastfeeding, and with those foxy mesh hospital panties exposed. He barged right into the room, full of boisterous excitement, and announced that they were his second biggest set of twins ever. He then quickly appraised me to assess my pre-delivery weight gain, and feeling safe, pointed out that the mother of the largest twins gained 90 pounds. I joked that I would stick with being number two if I would have had to double my weight gain to win, and at the same time, realized that I was sitting there half-naked and bleeding in front of an attractive guy. Sure he was a doctor, but he was not my doctor, and he was the first male in the room other than my spouse. My sad attempt at modesty was putting a pillow in my lap.
Later that day the boys had the procedure done. Everyone was shocked that I went with them. I didn't watch too much. I just put my hand on their chests and turned my head away. The OB, who I give credit to for letting me attend, said that she thought my presence was calming for them. My husband has PTSD from being near the procedure. He remains the only member of the family that my OB has not cut up. He better watch out.
PIC in POST: Owen does not like the spa treatment at this place.

No comments:
Post a Comment