I am so excited to give them their Easter baskets. They were kind of too young to appreciate Christmas but they love discovering things right now.
My husband and I are thinking that we may not do the whole Santa/Easter Bunny thing. We plan to get them gifts, but not to pass on the myth. I remember when my grandma told me at age 9 that I was too old to believe that I felt really dumb, not to mention the therapy that I needed from learning this from my grandma.* At that time I questioned God and what else my parents might lie about to me. I think that what really bothered me was what an elaborate lie it was. I am thinking that we might just tell them the truth and get them gifts from Santa so they don't feel left out. In addition to the whole not lying thing I think that it will be easier this way to help them appreciate both holidays for their religious significance.
I have a very deep faith as a Christian, I would not say that I am a "good" Christian because I am kind of a mess even though I am always trying. I am always worried about how I will raise two boys in a world that is insanely secularized. Of course I am glad that the world is secularized from the standpoint that I don't think that Church should ever control state, but I still think that it will be very hard to teach my children to realize that God exists in the mundane actions of their daily life. Since the two times a year that Christianity is openly celebrated by many people involves highly commercialized activities, I feel as though we need to help them now to direct their focus on God and not on the receipt of gifts. Telling an elaborate lie about a fat man who breaks into your house and a crazed rabbit confuses the message in my opinion. That is where I stand now.
But then I look at these little faces and I remember the magic before grandma stepped in and I want that for them too. These are the things that make parenting hard.

*My grandmother, who is still alive, is not a bad person. She is not a baby grandma. She is more of a I will really love you when you are old enough to pour me gin and learn how to play tennis grandma. She was also an awesome golfer and encouraged me to highlight my natural hair color and never ever let my hair be single processed.

No comments:
Post a Comment