Monday, April 27, 2009

The Greatest Baby Ever


Dear Maya,


I wonder if you know how much your life is going to change in two months. I have believed that you are suspicious since you started following me to the bathroom a million times in the middle of the night. I wonder how you will react. You have been an only child for a very long time. I remember riding in the car to pick you up back in October of 2000 and wondering if I was up to the responsibility of taking care of you. I still wonder from time-to-time if there are ways that I could have done a better job training you or paid for better medical care.


You have been very patient about letting me practice my parenting skills on you and you always forgive me when I screw up. Dogs can teach so much about forgiveness and living in the moment. People never learn. Sometimes I don't think that we even consider how much we hurt ourselves when we hold grudges against others and remain stuck in the past.


I like to tell you that if I could have picked from all of the dogs in the world I would have picked you. That statement is 100% true. Having you as a dog has been the best part of my life for so long. No one will ever take your place.


You taught me to be a good leader. I have learned that a good leader needs to be patient, confident, and consistent. Before you I thought that a leader was either someone who was mysteriously popular or loud and scary. Learning how to be trustworthy to you when you had no reason to trust another person again helped me to be confident in a way that I never imagined that I could be.


Please continue to forgive me as our lives change. No matter how much I love these babies, you will always be my first baby, and my best little girl.


Remember, I loved you first.


Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment