Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Sweetest Baby in the World to Me

I had some contrax last night, a couple were painful enought to wake me up. Saturday my husband and I took the boys to the mall to the play area to wear them out and the contrax were five minutes apart, not too painful, but lasted for an hour. We called the nanny on the way home and put her on alert. When we got home they were three minutes apart and by the time we left two. I was whining and moaning in the car.


We got to the ER enterance of the hospital and they tried to force me into a wheel chair, the thought of being tied down made me crazy, so I walked to the elevator. I was miserable/unable to talk during contractions at this point and not quite yelling yet.

Mike waited while I changed into a gown and a PA and a resident arrived to get me on the monitor. Mike spent fewer than 10 minutes moving the car and returned to find a team from anastehiology, my OB, two residents, two people from peds and a transport team in triage. The baby's heart rate was very low when I got in there. After giving me oxygen it went into the high 170s and stayed there.

The OB was very calm. She told me the first step in trying a VBAC, given the baby's distress, would be to get an epidural line in, even if I didn't want to use it. I agreed to this easily because there is no way that I would want to go under general.

She offered to give me terb and see if slowing the contractions would reduce the baby's stress. Since I still had five cm to go it looked like the only way to labor would be a risky one and it might take quite a bit of time. So I agreed to a RCS.

This experience was completely unlike my twins where I was depressed for weeks because I felt pressured, manipulated, and attacked. This time I understood the recommendation. I felt like the section was necessary and like it saved my daughter. And that makes all of the difference in the world.



Well, so does this.










Maeve Suzanne 8lbs 15oz 21 inches long.

I cannot even begin to explain what I felt when I saw her for the first time.





No comments:

Post a Comment